Bergen County NJ Mold Prevention Tips | Mahwah NJ Mold Inspection
Dryness is the key to preventing mold as mold requires moisture to grow and thrive. You live in a humid environment here in Bergen County NJ and spring means rain so how can you control moisture? Certainly, this can be tricky, especially in older homes. Often crawl spaces and basements become incubators for moisture and mold as dampness seeps in through the ground and cracks in the foundation. Here are a few Bergen County NJ Mold Prevention Tips to cut down on moisture and prevent mold in the process:
- Dehumidifiers and air conditioning help keep a home dry.
- Pick up a hygrometer at your local hardware store to measure the humidity in your home. Your goal should be to keep humidity below 60%.
- Insulate the cold surfaces in your home, including floors, walls, and windows to reduce condensation.
- Have your HVAC system checked to ensure it is working properly.
- Check for leaks under every sink and around fixtures in the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Check refrigerator drip plans regularly and empty as necessary.
- Check for leaks around the refrigerator and/or ice maker. Often discoloration on the floor around these appliances is a sign that water is seeping underneath.
- Fix any and all leaks immediately.
- If your basement and crawl spaces enable water to enter your home make sure the ground surrounding your house slopes away from it.
- Make sure that air can circulate throughout your home.
- If you have a leak or flood you must get the drying process going immediately.
- Make sure gutters and downspouts are clear of debris and working properly.
- Venting should be in place for the clothes dryer so that humidity cannot build up in the laundry room.
- Open windows when showering.
- Don’t let wet towels and clothing sit around in piles.
These Bergen County NJ Mold Prevention tips allow for a dryer space inside of your home. A home inspector can be a valuable asset in helping you determine how dry your home is and where problems may exist. If you have a damp home consider hiring an NJ mold testing service to discover whether mold is present and if so what type and how much exists. Precautionary steps should be taken to avoid mold in Bergen County homes.
We Test For Mold In NJ In The Following Counties:
- Hudson County New Jersey Mold Testing
- Morris County New Jersey Mold Testing
- Sussex County New Jersey Mold Testing
- Union County New Jersey Mold Testing
- Bergen County New Jersey Mold Testing
- Essex County New Jersey Mold Testing
- Passaic County New Jersey Mold Testing
- Orange County New York Mold Testing
- Rockland County New York Mold Testing