Mold Prevention Tips | Mahwah Bergen County NJ Based ‘Mold Inspections NJ-NY’
Simply put, dryness is the key to preventing mold as mold needs moisture to grow and thrive. Controlling moisture in a humid environment can be tricky, especially in older homes. Often crawl spaces and basements become incubators for moisture and mold as dampness seeps in through the ground and cracks in the foundation. Our Bergen County NJ and beyond Mold Prevention tips support a much dryer home with less change for mold.
How can you cut down on moisture and prevent mold in the process?
- Dehumidifiers and air conditioning help keep a home dry.
- Pick up a hygrometer at your local hardware store to measure the humidity in your home. Your goal should be to keep humidity below 60%.
- Insulate various surfaces in your home, including floors, walls, and windows to reduce condensation.
- Have your HVAC system checked to ensure it is working properly.
- Check for leaks under every sink and around fixtures in the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Check refrigerator drip plans regularly and empty as necessary.
- Check for leaks around the refrigerator and/or ice maker. Often discoloration on the floor around these appliances is a sign that water is leaking underneath.
- Fix any and all leaks immediately.
- If your basement and crawl spaces enable water to enter your home make sure the ground surrounding your house slopes away from it.
- Make sure that air can circulate throughout your home.
- If you have a leak or flood you must get the drying process going immediately.
- Make sure gutters and downspouts are clear of debris and working properly.
- Venting should be in place for the clothes dryer so that humidity cannot build up in the laundry room.
- Open windows when showering.
- Don’t let wet towels and clothing sit around in piles.
A mold inspector can be a valuable asset in helping you determine how dry your home is and where problems may exist. If you have a damp home consider hiring ‘Mold Testing NJ-NY’ for necessary mold testing and inspection. It is important to identify whether mold is present, what type of mold and then also how much exists. And precautionary steps based the above Mold Prevention Tips list should be taken to avoid mold in Bergen County NJ homes and beyond.
About Bergen County NJ Based ‘Mold Inspections NJ-NY ‘
Mold testing in Bergen County NJ and beyond enables a homeowner to determine whether it is present in the home as well as what type of mold exists. If you suspect mold is present in your home it is important for your health to enlist the services of an experienced mold testing service. Mold Testing NJ-NY will help ensure the health and safety of your home. Contact us today to learn more!
Offering Certified NJ Mold Inspections, IAQ Testing In: