Mold And Mildew – Similar But Different
There are similarities between mold and mildew. They are both members of the fungus family and it is easy to mistake one for the other. Also they both tend to grow in moist conditions. Digging deeper, you will discover differences such as color, form and size. A big difference is in how they are eliminated. Mold Testing NJ-NY is an experienced mold testing service that is able to identify the type of fungus growing in your home and direct you toward the correct method of elimination.
Mildew grows on surfaces, being attracted to wet areas. It grows flat and is typically black in color. Inside a home mildew is usually found on countertops, paper, walls, and any surface that is porous. Mildew can be found as powder on plants, or as spots on food. Mildew can be easily cleaned off with household cleaning products. A mold tester will quickly be able to determine whether the issue is mold or merely mildew.
Mold can take on more of a three dimensional texture. Typically it will have a fuzzy appearance with colors ranging from green to gray to black. Mold can be invisible, making it more complicated. It can grow within walls, under carpets, and in the air. As a result, mold is tougher to spot and more difficult to get rid of. Mold spreads and when it is hidden it can continually grow spores. It can become a health risk to yourself and your family. If you don’t see or smell mold, you won’t be aware of its existence. That is why it is important to have your home tested for mold if there has been moisture or dampness for an extended period of time.
Seek Professional Help In Discovering The Presence of Mold
Mold Testing NJ-NY has the knowledge and experience to locate mold and recommend the best way to eliminate it. We only test for mold, we do not remediate. This means you will always get an unbiased report on the presence of mold and what to do about it. If the problem is only mildew, we’ll recommend household cleaning products that can get rid of it. If you suspect there may be mold present in your home, give us a call at (201) 658-8881.