Volatile Organic Compounds
VOCs are Volatile Organic Compounds. These are man-made chemicals produced in the manufacture of paints, some pharmaceuticals and refrigerants. VOC concentration is generally higher indoors than outdoors, sometimes up to 10 times higher. Some VOCs include a variety of chemicals which can affect your health. Using products that contain organic chemicals can expose you to high pollutant levels and be harmful to your health or to the health of others living in your house. Mold Testing NJ-NY is a certified Indoor Air Quality inspector and can determine the presence and level of VOCs in your NJ home.
What Are Some Products That Emit VOCs?
Some examples of products that emit VOCs or air polluting chemicals are:
- paints and varnishes
- cleaning and disinfecting agents
- degreasing agents
- hobby products
How Do VOCs Affect Your Health?
As with all polluting agents, adverse health effects produced by VOCs depend on the level and length of exposure. All of the symptoms listed below can lead to more serious medical issues. Some immediate symptoms may be:
- Eye Irritation
- Respiratory Irritation
- Problems with Eyesight
- Memory impairment
How Can I Prevent Harmful Exposure To VOCs?
Some ways to reduce exposure to harmful chemicals in the air are:
- Always keep your home well ventilated, especially when using products that release pollutants.
- Be sure to read labels on products that may emit VOCs and follow the manufacturer’s instructions regarding use, clean-up and storage of these products.
- Keep VOC emitting products out of the reach of children and pets.
- Do some research when starting a project that may require the use of VOC emitting products. The EPA website is very helpful in doing this research.
Have An Indoor Air Quality Inspection
Mold Testing NJ-NY is a certified and experienced Indoor Air Quality inspector. We inspect, test and advise. we do not remediate the problem. We recommend remediation when necessary. We have been serving the homeowners in Bergen County NJ and surrounding areas for many years with honest evaluations of the Indoor Air Quality in their homes. Call us today and discover our inspection process and how it can benefit you and your family. We can be reached at (201) 658-8881.